New Ross occupies the north-eastern section of Lunenburg County, and encompasses the hamlets and rural areas of The Forties, Fraxville, Lake Ramsay, Harriston, Aaldersville, Mill Road, New Russell, Leville, Glengarry and Seffernville, as well as the central village of Charing Cross. 1 The original name for the place was Sherbrooke, but this caused some confusion with the other Sherbrooke settlement in the province, and became a reason for change. As it happens, there are several accounts of how the name of New Ross was then established. C. B. Ferguson's account is particularly felicitous, eliding those oppositions which still remain:
In May, 1863, the name was changed in honor of Lord Mulgrave whose second title was derived from the Irish town of New Ross, and in honor of Captain William Ross who was granted land along with his group of one hundred and seventy-two disbanded soldiers. They arrived and began to build houses in August, 1816. 2
We are deepening this history with a geo-genealogy of the residents of the village, beginning with the 1881 census. This work is being led by the New Ross Historical Society. Here is the link to the programming site for New Ross, Lunenburg Co..
1. Leopold, Caroline, and the New Ross Historical Society. (2015). The History of New Ross, 200 Years (1816-2016). New Ross: New Ross Historical Society.
2. Ferguson, Charles Bruce. ( 1974). Place-Names and Places of Nova Scotia, 2nd Edition. Belleville: Mika Publishing Company.